With so many resources at our fingertips online, it can be easy to forget that the best support is often found in our own backyards in the form of local citizens with an understanding and love of their community.
Redbird Resilient began organically when a group of concerned residents met to address emotional health and addiction prevention within the Loudonville-Perrysville community. Directed to residents of all ages, Redbird Resilient seeks to help people find the strength within themselves and develop tools to rebound from adversity. True to its grassroots, Redbird continues to be supported, but not directed, by professionals and agencies who provide excellent leadership.
The organization is especially committed to promoting awareness of the ACE (Adverse Childhood Experiences) study, a research study that shows the links between early trauma and health and social problems throughout the lifespan. The more that educators, counselors, clergy, and family identify and understand these connections, the better they can treat–and, ultimately, prevent–these later challenges.
A number of diverse groups are engaged in the Redbird initiative, including businesses, faith-based organizations, and schools. Here are just a few of the programs Redbird Resilient has supported or implemented or plans to roll out in the coming months, to build stronger citizens and prevent social problems in the community:
- Presentations, educational opportunities, and support on the following topics:
- How to deal with anxiety & stress
- How to parent a child with anxiety & stress
- How does trauma affect drug & alcohol abuse?
- KINSHIP CARE, a support group for relatives caring for children whose parents are unable to care for them.
- School-initiated programs, such as Too Good For Drugs, Drug Free Clubs of America, and Start Talking, all designed to promote healthy living.
AMHRB is grateful for the support and partnership provided by Redbird Resilient, a truly positive force in our community. For more information about how you can get involved, visit their website or contact us.